Jump River Electric Cooperative (“JREC”) and all of its affiliates are committed to protecting the privacy of JREC Members. The following sets forth JREC’s policy for maintaining the privacy of Members’ nonpublic personal information and for limited sharing of such information.
Collection of Personal Information
This Policy applies to information collected by JREC through its website, membership applications, and other sources. Before supplying electric service, JREC requires each Member to provide certain personal information, such as names, addresses, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, and Social Security Numbers. If a member signs up for other programs or services, JREC may ask for additional information, such as bank names, account numbers and routing numbers. These may be used to establish services such as ACH bill payment. JREC may also obtain information about Members and applicants from credit reporting agencies or other third-party vendors used to verify the identity of persons applying for electric service.
JREC may collect information about visits to its website, including the pages viewed and the links clicked. JREC may also collect standard information that a browser sends to every website visited, such as the user’s IP address, browser type and language, access times and referring Web site addresses. JREC only uses web log information in aggregate form to enable it to make the web site more useful. JREC does not collect any personal information about a routine visitor unless the visitor provides it.
Use Personal Information
JREC collects and uses personal information to open accounts, verify identities and credit histories of account applicants and members, and to maintain accurate information about members, accounts, and participation in specific programs. JREC also uses personal information to communicate with its members. JREC may send service communications such as billing reminders, monthly newsletters and other promotional information. Personal information collected on the JREC site is stored and processed at JREC headquarters office in Ladysmith, Wisconsin and/or through service providers that JREC may engage for website development and maintenance.
Sharing of Personal Information
JREC will not share your personal information with any non-affiliated entity or third-party vendor for their independent marketing or commercial purposes. JREC employees are permitted to obtain only the personal information they need to deliver service to you. They are required to maintain the confidentiality of the information and are prohibited from using it for any other purpose. Personal information may also be disclosed as follows:
- Records may be disclosed to affiliates or contractors hired by JREC to assist in carrying out operations, such as service, billing, and management functions including legal, audit, and collection services.
- Member-consumer information may be disclosed to and shared with commercial and consumer credit reporting agencies for credit-related activities (e.g., the reporting of bad debts).
- Records may be disclosed to government regulators and other government agencies when authorized or required by law.
- Records may also be compiled in aggregate form for JREC management activities.
- Records may be disclosed when required by law, such as in response to a search warrant, subpoena, or court order, or to law enforcement authorities.
- JREC may use and disclose records for investigations into employee misconduct or for law enforcement investigations related to our business.
- JREC may also access and/or disclose personal information if it believes such action is necessary to: (a) protect and defend the rights or property of JREC (including the enforcement of our agreements); or (b) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of JREC services, members of the public or our employees.
Accessing Personal Information
Members have the ability to view or edit their personal information by contacting a JREC member services representative at 715-532-5524. Arrangements will be made for Members to view their information and make any necessary changes.
Security Of Your Personal Information
JREC is committed to protecting the security of Members’ personal information. JREC uses a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. For example, JREC stores the personal information provided on computer systems with limited access, which are located in controlled facilities. When JREC transmits highly confidential information (such as a bank account or routing number) over the Internet, it protects it through the use of encryption, such as the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol.
Controlling "Spam" Or Unsolicited E-Mail
JREC is concerned about controlling unsolicited commercial e-mail, or "spam." JREC will not sell, lease or rent its member address lists, including e-mail addresses, to third parties.